«

»

Jan 28

Two for one, more classes and futuristic vehicles update

Chaz Mancino

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering freshman Charles ‘Chaz’ Mancino. Chaz, who is from Fredonia, NY, and is majoring in Mechanical Engineering, will occasionally post his thoughts about his freshman year experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail phayes(at)kettering(dot)edu. Chaz’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3 | Post 4 Post 5 | Post 6

The past month has brought plenty of adventure into my ever-exciting college life. After a great and needed break at home for the holidays, I migrated back to Kettering University to once again embark on my college education. I hope that Santa Claus and Father Time have agreed to give me something that almost everyone hopes for: a great new year and peace on Earth. That might not come true, but at least I did not find any coal in my stocking this past Christmas.

My first academic and work terms have been hurdled, and I am now known as a “Freshman II” here at Kettering University. Basically, it is an easy way to classify me as a Kettering University student who has completed his or her first academic and work terms. In other words, it is a cool way for students to say that they go to a university that has a “two-for-one” deal for terms. Too bad it is not a “buy one, get one free” deal, as many people would brag about that.

Besides not having a “buy one, get one free” deal, my new term at Kettering University has been good so far. Like always, there are some classes that one would rather sleep through than write tedious notes, but there are also some that are interesting. A sampling of my schedule includes Calculus 203 (Calculus III), Humanities 201 and Mech 100. These classes are also joined with the many activities that I am a part of, including The Technician newspaper, the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) team and the Firebirds Car Club, all of which keep a college student busy and bring relaxation from mountains of homework.

The Technician, FSAE and the Firebirds Car Club are just some of the different clubs and organizations here at Kettering University. Each one contains many opportunities, including a social aspect that may include networking. There are also perks offered by the many clubs and organizations. A perk from the Firebirds Car Club, for example, were free 2013 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) tickets. I was prepared to be amazed at the vehicles and displays as I journeyed into one of the world’s greatest automotive paradises. I have been to the Buffalo Auto Show before, but comparing that show to the North American International Auto Show is like comparing a kiddy ride to the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. The kiddy ride is fun until one realizes that the Top Thrill Dragster will make him or her feel like his or her brain is about to pop out. With hundreds of vehicles on display, the North American International Auto Show made me feel like my brain was about to pop out.

Bentleys, Maseratis, Ferraris and many concept vehicles such as the Cadillac ELR, the Hyundai HCD-14 Genesis, the Nissan Resonance and the Toyota Corolla Furia, along with many sports cars such as the Audi R8 V10, the Lexus LFA, the Porsche 911Carrera 4S, Usain Bolt’s very own Nissan GT-R, the new SRT Viper and the much-anticipated Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, were on display. Adrenaline was rushing around my body when I was just standing next to these dream vehicles. Class. Power. Style. Substance. All of those vehicles delivered those mouth-watering, jaw-dropping adjectives, and then some. Maybe Santa Claus will give me one of these heart-thumping thrill rides for Christmas this year if I am on the nice list. Or maybe I can just have one of his reindeer.

Some displays at the North American International Auto Show included demonstrations of chassis improvements, futuristic, fuel-sipping engines, cutaways of new trucks and interactive activities to showcase new innovations. Downstairs in the COBO Center, where the 2013 North American International Auto Show was held, included more displays, including collegiate displays. One of those collegiate displays was for Kettering University. Along with having one of the formula cars from the FSAE team and one of the sleds from the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge (CSC) flanking Kettering University’s exhibit, there were also many posters promoting Kettering University. Another exhibit in the downstairs of the COBO Center included a small car display with the world’s smallest car, the Peel P50. After 12 hours, eight AA batteries, and over 600 pictures, it was time for the for me to leave the 2013 North American International Auto Show, a show that will always be in my heart.

So it starts once again. The different sections have been switched between school and work, but the dream of owning a highly exotic super car constantly races through the minds of many Kettering University students. One day, the keys of a vehicle with a prancing horse or a trident may rest in my hands. Until then, I must continue to work hard. Good thing Kettering University makes hard work necessary in order to pass classes. Hopefully the hard work will pay off someday.