«

»

Sep 06

Mr. Bulldog, please meet Mr. Underdog

Chaz Mancino

Chaz Mancino

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering freshman Charles ‘Chaz’ Mancino. Chaz, who is from Fredonia, NY, and is majoring in Mechanical Engineering, will occasionally post his thoughts about his Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering.If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Chaz’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3 | Post 4 | Post 5 | Post 6 | Post 7 | Post 8 | Post 9 | Post 10 | Post 11 | Post 12 | Post 13

Engineering + Short Terms = Smart minds wanted.

The late night natural habitat for college engineering student is a computer lab. This is where the college engineering student studies pages upon pages of notes for an upcoming test. What seems like mountains of coffee, Red Bull, and snacks helps him to keep his concentration. Then the test comes…

While that may sound like a nightmare to any other college student, it is a common scenario for Kettering University students. While the tests may be difficult, the professors and tutors are there to help everyone, easing the late night last minute study struggle. As a sophomore with classes much more difficult than I anticipated, I have learned not only how to solve problems in each of my classes but also how to appreciate the amount of time the professors spend helping students. The professors have the experience and when they share their knowledge with me, I can almost make out a reflection of Charles Kettering himself smiling back at me in their eyes. Charles Kettering believed that the best kind of learning is one that combines academics and actual work experience, and the professors help me achieve the academics part. However, it is the actual work experience that gets my blood pumping.

While on school term, one does not have a lot of free time. Good thing there is the SAE garage to help keep my stress low while giving me valuable hands-on experience. While I may share the same full first name as Charles Kettering, he definitely had a lot more experience in engineering and innovation than I currently have. However, with the help from my professors and other SAE team members, I will gather experience from both academics and actual work experience, just what Charles Kettering believed was the best kind of learning. Mr. Kettering, please meet Mr. Mancino. Actually, Mr. Bulldog, please meet Mr. Underdog.