«

»

Oct 21

Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to work I go

Jessica Bruce

Jessica Bruce

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering junior Jessica Bruce, who is from Flint, MI and is majoring in Industrial Engineering, will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering.If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu.

Since this is my first post, I should introduce myself; my name is Jessica Bruce and I’m a Junior II Industrial Engineering major with a manufacturing minor and I’m from Flint. Shocker I know, I meet so few students at Kettering actually from Flint and I get constant questions and comments about why I choose to stay in “The Most Dangerous City.”  As far as Flint being dangerous, it is; every city is to some point. Flint is on the rebound and Kettering is helping. My advice is to just be smart about where you go, especially at night, and to not let your fear of the city surrounding campus keep you up at night; it’s not worth it. There are homework and project deadlines that will do the job fine.

This fall work term has been crazy and has even felt like I’ve had more free time during academic term. I’ve begun coaching a new FTC robotics team at my old middle school. That coupled with going back to work a week early (the Monday following my last Saturday final), along with several family visits, it’s been a hectic few weeks.  Granted most of the things I’ve taken on during work term are partially to keep me busy and I volunteered for them, and it is nice to be able to come home and relax without having to worry about schoolwork.

One of the things that I take for granted a lot is living at home in Flint both on academic term and work term; with a 5-10 minute drive to campus and a 30-40 minutes drive to work in Auburn Hills (depending on traffic), it’s kinda nice to get away from the professional nomadic lifestyle.

One of the projects that I’m concentrating on this term is my thesis (*gasp*). I haven’t yet decided on a topic with my mentor, but just coming up on the renowned thesis itself is just a shocker to me. I am starting the last college paper that I’ll ever turn in. Wait…I’m close to graduating, what is this nonsense? I’m sure every Kettering student has felt like college drags on forever, especially when sitting at their co-op desk with nothing to do because you finished your work faster than anyone expected. Hey it’s part of the daily co-op life, you go from being swamped to having little or nothing to do, but I still love my job.

The fact is that college doesn’t drag on forever and you have to be ready for it. “IT” referring to having a full time job and all the responsibilities that come with living in your own place and managing your social life and hobbies. I have about 2 years until I start my forever work term (which is a horrible name if you think about it, “forever” gives it such a bad connotation) and as much as I love Kettering and I’ll miss the friends I’ve made, I’m ready to begin preparing for my thesis and graduation. I think there’s a point in every college student’s life, not just Kettering students, where you are just like “okay done with the whole ‘college’ experience thing, let’s just get the degree done with and move on to freedom.” Yes freedom, Kettering students get their much needed R and ’ after the stress of school finals from their sweet work term freedom. I like to think of work term as a practice of sorts for the future, after graduation. Kettering students are more prepared for it because having a full time job after graduation isn’t as much of a shock as it can be to some graduates.

I love my job and I treasure the opportunities I have because of it and Kettering. Learning something in the classroom and then turning around and applying that knowledge to real engineering is exciting, and is by far my favorite thing about being a Kettering student.