«

»

Nov 25

Senioritis? No…it can’t be. Not yet!

Jessica Bruce

Jessica Bruce

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering junior Jessica Bruce, who is from Flint, MI and is majoring in Industrial Engineering, will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering.If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Jessica’s other posts: Post 1

I admit, since beginning my thesis project, I have begun feeling the affliction known as Senioritis. But did it ever really leave after graduating from high school? We’ve all questioned that. Working on my thesis plan and having that final thesis submission date, though it’s still two years away (less than two years to be exact), is daunting, tempting, and relieving all in one. Daunting because it’s a huge undertaking and the project will not only be reviewed by the college, but by my co-op employer as well. Tempting because I, luckily, have an extremely interesting thesis topic that I would love to spend all of my time on, but sadly can’t. Relieving because I can finally see the end. The end to the constant stress, the studying, the late nights, the all nighters, the exams, the essays, and the homework.

But I’m a Junior! This isn’t the time to be dwelling on what’s to come from graduation.

And even faced with the encroaching senioritis, I am eager to return to school in January. Why? Because  I enjoy classes, I surprisingly have a more relaxed schedule, and tend to have more social interaction over academic term.  I also enjoy the campus life more so than the corporate one. Not that odd considering I want to become a professor of manufacturing engineering after graduation.

I’ve gotten the question; Why do you want to change careers? My answer; Who wants to be stuck doing the same thing every day for the next 40 years, I sure don’t. I like change. One of my favorite phrases or quotes is that change changes everything save for itself (I’ve long forgotten the origin of it).  I am happier teaching and sharing my knowledge and experiences with others than I would be cooped up behind a computer screen. I realize the necessity of that period of “computer sitting” in my career and that function for the industry in general; it’s just not for me in the long run. I don’t want to be one of those 9 to 5 types that work my whole life, not doing anything exciting or risky, retire at the age of 65 with nothing to do and die from boredom shortly after. I want to be doing things I enjoy my entire life, not just after I retire.

Life lately has been non-stop Work. Home. Coach Robotics. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. This is my first season coaching an FTC team (or any FIRST team). I am an alumni of FRC team 314 Megatron Oracles, or Big MO, from Carman Ainsworth High School based in Flint, MI. My new team is FTC team 7472 Lil’ Megatronic Oracles, or Lil’ MO (Yes corny names), from Carman Ainsworth Middle School. So far the season has gone well, though not without our share of challenges. Taking on the responsibility of coaching has changed my schedule around so my work term is busier than my academic term schedule, if that’s possible. I choose to do this because I one; love robotics and FIRST, Two; because I miss FIRST, and Three; because I want to give back to the organization that has helped me over the years ( I was awarded the Kettering FIRST Robotics Scholarship) and still continues to help me.

I find myself wishing that I could escape my cubicle and go work on the robot with the team members. Tinkering and building is an addictive hobby.

For now I’ll just continue to do research for my thesis, trying to contain the growing senioritis and my daydreaming/ tinkering tendencies.