«

»

Dec 09

New experiences, new me

Angenika Curtis

Angenika Curtis

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering A-section sophomore Angenika Curtis, who is from The Bahamas and is majoring in Electrical Engineering, will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. Angenika is employed for co-op at BORCO, Bahamas Oil and Refining Company International Ltd., Freeport, Grand Bahama, The Bahamas.If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu.

Time really flies! I am now a Sophomore I, but I remember my first day as an international student (freshman) at Kettering. I must admit, I was a train wreck the first week. I started my first term in January 2013, and things just moved so quickly; Kettering being an accelerated institution. I saw snow for the first time, I didn’t quite know anybody and it was the first time in my life that I would spend more than a weekend in the United States. I recall thinking, “what am I doing here? Is this for me?” It was safe to say that I was a little scared.

But by the third week, I met another international student who later became an associate, my study partner, and now my friend. Then, I joined clubs and communicated with people who were a part of those clubs. When I didn’t understand certain materials in class, I went to the professors who taught me and asked questions. For lunch, I went to the cafeteria and sat at big tables with people I just merely ‘saw’ and got to know them more. Before I knew it I felt like I belonged and Kettering was indeed the place for me.

Most of the professors and students are welcoming, helpful and friendly. I learned that the professors at Kettering care when you care. The students at Kettering are approachable when you make yourself open to new and lasting relationships. After learning these values at Kettering, my second term was great once I adapted to the ever-progressing changes at Kettering to make students feel comfortable, challenged, secured, and right at home.

After twelve weeks in school, it is time to go work. I have done two work terms in The Bahamas, my homeland. That’s what makes Kettering such a great school because at Kettering, they acknowledge the fact that education comes from what is taught in the classroom and by hands on experience as well. And you get paid so that’s a bonus! It feels good to know that I have contributed in many ways to the company I work at such a young age with the little time I have there. Sometimes, work term and school term can feel overbearing because of the constant rotation and moving but it is totally worth it. Too be honest, I can truly take a break but I love the moving and I love the experience. Because of Kettering, I know that I am light years over my peers.

Kettering has helped me realize things that I didn’t know before. Here are ten things I have learned so far;

1. Challenges are only as hard as I make them.
2. Change is good and not bad.
3. Get out there, don’t settle.
4. Don’t be afraid, I can make it.
5. I will make a difference someday and I have been making a difference someway every day.
6. Mommy doesn’t need to hold my hand anymore, I got this!
7. The only person who can stop or hinder me, is me.
8. Don’t take work term for granted, learn and do all I can, it will pay off.
9. It can’t get any better than Kettering. If Kettering is for me, I can’t afford to go anywhere else.
10. I am and can do more than I give myself credit for.

Kettering has and will forever inspire me to keep my dreams alive.