«

»

Dec 16

Crossing over

Chaz Mancino

Chaz Mancino

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering freshman Charles ‘Chaz’ Mancino. Chaz, who is from Fredonia, NY, and is majoring in Mechanical Engineering, will occasionally post his thoughts about his Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering.If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Chaz’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3 | Post 4 |Post 5 | Post 6 | Post 7 | Post 8 | Post 9 | Post 10 | Post 11 | Post 12 | Post 13 Post 14 Post 15 | Post 16 | Post 17

Walking the bridge from being an academically challenged college student to a full time working employee.

Projects. Big projects. Projects due by the end of the week. Projects due when parts arrive. Projects due now. Welcome to the beginning of the “real world.” Although I have always been placed in academically challenging classes with big workloads, those were nothing compared to the amount of work when working with new technology. That is exactly what I am doing at work.

Being a part of the XNOx group at Tenneco, there are plenty of things for me to do. From collecting data to running machines that create parts, I have, up to this point, done various activities in order to improve on XNOx systems. With XNOx systems being new technology, it is obvious that the employees at Tenneco who are working with it are hard at work to create and improve on the systems. It is hard to think that just two years ago, I was a high school student reading about new technology hoping to one day be a part of a team that works with it. While it may seem like I am living the dream, I am still far from it. I have gone a long way in two years, but I still have most of my life in front of me. Thanks to the co-op system that Kettering University offers, I am slowly crossing over the bridge from being an academically challenged college student to a full time working college student. From a communications paper due on Monday to setting up a vehicle for testing next week, Kettering University students get the full spectrum of academic and “real world” work.

Even though the co-op system allows a college student to impact the field of study that he or she is interested in, I, like many other Kettering University students, have a drive to do much more. That drive has and will continue to put Kettering University students at the top of the employee pack. Whether it is to become a supervisor, project leader, or CEO, the co-op system helps get one’s foot in the door of the “real world” so that he or she may be able to accelerate into the future as a full time employee. That may also be one of the reasons why many Kettering University alumni have made major breakthroughs in their fields. To think, all it took was a walk across the bridge from being an academically challenged college student to a full time working employee.