«

»

Jan 23

Looking back

Ashley Gaabo

Ashley Gaabo

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering junior Ashley Gaabo, from Rochester Mi and majoring in Industrial Engineering with a Business minor and concentration in International Studies , who will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu.

What I have learned since I was in your shoes – a high school senior.

Senior year seemed to be one of the hardest years of school for me, or so I thought. I was in AP classes, I was on the cheer team and I worked.  I had so much going on and would stay up late studying.  I thought anything less than perfect was unacceptable.

Once I got to college I still had that mindset but then I realized that as you strive for perfection, you are not always going to achieve it.  All those years growing up when my parents told me all I had to do was my best and I blew it off, I now realized what they were saying.  As long as you learn the material the best you can, and are able to apply it after the class is over either at work or just helping others, you are successful.  Just because you didn’t get a 4.0 in the class, it does not mean you are not successful.

When looking for jobs, your GPA is reviewed, but it is not all that matters. I am not saying to not study, but I am saying that you do not need to be perfect.  When you do not get the grade you hoped to achieve, it only teaches you lessons. You need to work harder to get what you achieve and for everyone that is different.  Either you need to devote more time to studying, make sure you go to every class, ask the professor questions or anything else that helps you learn.

College is a lot more challenging than high school, so it is expected that you do not do as well.  But, with time management, studying and commitment, you can do anything.