«

»

Feb 06

The things I least expected about Kettering University

Ashley Gaabo

Ashley Gaabo

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by Kettering junior Ashley Gaabo, from Rochester Mi and majoring in Industrial Engineering with a Business minor and concentration in International Studies , who will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Ashley’s other posts: Post 1

Kettering is unique in so many ways. Not only is the program itself unique but the things offered to you are as well. Kettering offers students many opportunities to become involved.

You want to join the Hispanic club? What about the grill club? Or even the golf club? You name it, we have it and if we don’t…you can start it. I remember my freshman year going to the club EXPO and looking at all the tables wondering how people even had time for anything besides school work. After my freshman term, I started to get involved in all the clubs. Basically any day at lunch you can find a club that is going on and provides food. Being involved in clubs also helps you create better connections with the staff. Being president of the PanHellenic counsel and Vice President of the Institute of Industrial Engineers Kettering chapter, I work very closely with faculty and staff. It’s nice to have real personal connections with people you see around campus all the time. That’s one of the best benefits I see to being on a small campus. You get to know everyone personally and are not just a face in a crowd to your professors.

As well as all the club opportunities, I was awarded the privilege of studying abroad next fall. Granted it takes a lot of strategic planning for my major, I created a schedule that would allow me to study abroad for a whole term. I know at other schools you go for a few weeks or for the summer but at Kettering you get to go for a whole term and travel for 3 months. I cannot wait!

Greek life is another unique thing at Kettering. If I went to a big school I’m not 100% sure if I would have gone Greek. However, at Kettering, it is a perfect fit for me! It’s nice to have a group of girls I call my sisters who I can go to. Especially after being surrounded by boys all the time, it’s nice to have girl time.

Other little things that I never would have expected to be such a hit include the Kettering Bulldog. The bulldog that is on the beach, which is indeed not sand, is always painted. In one given day you will see it advertising at least 3 different events or groups. Along with the beach that has no sand, there is a pool with no water. When you first come to Kettering you are so thrown off by the naming of these things but as you go through your undergrad program it just becomes another daily routine for you to walk through the pool to get to class or walk through the beach to go to the REC (Recreation Center).

Another great thing I didn’t expect there to be is the tunnel. My freshman year I used the tunnel all the time. If it’s too cold or too dark for you to walk outside this tunnel is great! It connects the AB to the CC and Thompson Hall. In my opinion the tunnel is a great thing.

With the uniqueness of Kettering, I have had the opportunity to experience so many different things that I never expected to have at my university.