«

»

Apr 14

Germany – Arrival Day

Lisa Mitchell

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by B-Section senior Lisa Mitchell, who is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and works as a co-op at UTC Aero Systems LK in Connecticut, and will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Lisa’s other posts: Post 1

I have anticipated this moment since before I attended Kettering, and the time has finally come! I am sitting on the plane headed to Philadelphia, then will fly into Frankfurt where I will connect to Stuttgart, then take a shuttle to Hocshule Esslingen! I checked one bag that was exactly 49 pounds (I can thank Kettering for that precision, because I have had a significant amount of practice tetris-ing all my shoes and 3 months of my life into a suitcase). My first flight was intended to depart from Hartford, CT at 1:45 p.m. on March 31,  but as expected, the flight was delayed an hour. Which will make for a sprint in the Philly airport, but it will work out in some way or another. Traveling is all about learning to roll with the punches. Half the adventure is figuring out what to do and where to go when everything goes wrong. Nothing ever goes as planned when you travel, so I’ve learned to expect it, then smile and be pleasant to the employees who can connect me to my flights and hotels :)

I’m meeting Savannah (my best friend, roommate, and travel partner) at baggage claim in the airport in Stuttgart and we have scheduled for a shuttle to pick us up and take us to the school, so that is the plan (assuming our flights allow it).

So, although the times in the airport were fast paced and stressful, everything ended up working out as planned. Savannah and I met up in baggage claim, then met up with the shuttle driver who drove us directly to the dorms. We got our rooms, dropped our stuff off, then went for a walk around town.

We went to the market place (where I bought cheese and sparkling apple juice, both excessively random choices, I know) then walked to an Italian cafe and ate outside in the sunshine. It was glorious. Although, it was 11 a.m. and it felt like it should be 6 p.m. My body was whacked out. I unpacked and took a power nap and after that everything was very smooth. I wasn’t tired, and haven’t been tired since. We went out for drinks and dinner later in the night after discovering the most amazing ice cream (that was only 1€!) and just chilled out until we walked home around 10:30 p.m.