«

»

Apr 14

Germany – Day One

Lisa Mitchell

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by B-Section senior Lisa Mitchell, who is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and works as a co-op at UTC Aero Systems LK in Connecticut, and will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Lisa’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2

Last night, I slept with the window open (which I never do in America but I’m taking on European ways of life as best I can) and it was absolutely wonderful. I woke up to birds chirping and a lovely breeze that was incredibly refreshing. I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and went for a run. Took a shower and definitely used a washcloth and a flannel shirt to dry myself off because I didn’t bring a towel and couldn’t find one on Tuesday.

Then I met with my group, we stopped off at the market for breakfast. I got a breakfast cinnamon roll honey fritter thing which was quite the comedic scene when I attempted to order, I don’t know a lick of German so I suggested that I point to what I want and she didn’t know what I meant by “point” so the lady was nonetheless very confused and I couldn’t do anything about it. But after stumbling through some awkward pauses and charades, I got my cinnamon roll honey fritter thing.

Then we caught a bus to downtown Esslingen, then walked through the city lost, but not admitting it, and finally found the building our orientation was held in. We had an introduction, then went for lunch in a cute little cafe downtown. I decided ordering the “special” is the way to go because I get a traditional German meal that is new, delicious, and cheaper. So once again we fumbled through ordering our food and enjoyed a nice lunch, and an incredible cup of tassee kaffee.

After lunch I was on a serious mission to find a towel before we had our next orientation session. Finding a towel was excessively difficult! After wandering and going through numerous stores, I asked someone “where can I buy a hand towel?” Using a translator app, I finally received a detailed drawing on where to go.