«

»

Apr 14

Germany – Week One

Lisa Mitchell

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by B-Section senior Lisa Mitchell, who is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and works as a co-op at UTC Aero Systems LK in Connecticut, and will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Lisa’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3

So far, I have had such an amazing experience in Germany. Last weekend we went to Munich and got to experience the joys of a biergarten and eat some traditional German food (which I’m now making for myself during the week at the dorms) while roaming this beautiful city. It’s truly breathtaking how historic and beautiful the buildings are here. Just being here is such a wonderful feeling.
We walk just about everywhere, and we have a 45-minute walk to school/downtown so all the pretzels, sausages, and bread are not affecting us as severely as one might think. I actually think I’ve lost weight since being here.
Being a stranger in a new country is so eye opening. The way people live and interact is so exciting because it’s so different. We are quickly learning that most Germans are used to staying out much later than Americans are. The classes we have and the professors are all incredible. They are scheduled later in the day, so most days our first class isn’t until 3:45 p.m.! Which means we get to fill our mornings with jogging, reading in the park, espresso at the local cafes, and just chilling out with the Germans students we meet.
One of my personal favorite aspects of European culture is the style. The community as a whole takes very good care of themselves, and they are very hygienic and stylish. I swear, this whole country smells like cologne and flowers.

Today we are heading to Audi for an excursion with our class. From there, myself and five others are jetting off to Austria for the weekend. We plan to hit up Zurich and Salzburg! It should be another fantastic weekend.