«

»

Apr 21

Germany – First Week of Classes/Second Weekend

Lisa Mitchell

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by B-Section senior Lisa Mitchell, who is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and works as a co-op at UTC Aero Systems LK in Connecticut, and will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Lisa’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3 | Post 4

One could say I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

I am completely in love. Traveling around Europe is such a unique and breathtaking life experience. I am taking 5 classes during my term here (Fluid Mechanics, Dynamic Systems 1 & 2, Germany at the heart of Europe, and German language). Each of the professors are enthusiastic and captivating. They convey a lot of passion and are excited to teach the exchange students. It seems that most of them fit it into their schedule because they enjoy it. I am eager to learn, although, it is surprisingly difficult to get into the academic mindset in such a beautiful place. In Flint, it’s easy to find motivation to study hard, but here it’s a different story because our classes are later in the evening and everything is so beautiful, green, and intriguing! This last weekend we went on a field trip to the manufacturing plant for the Audi R8 (which was impeccable) then we ran to the train station from the museum and caught a train to Vienna, Austria.

Vienna was stunning. In all honesty, I wasn’t expecting much from Austria, but I was amazed. It was sunny and lovely, and the architecture of the buildings is just unbelievable. We explored the city and went to the Natural History museum and came across a random festival in the city which was great! We also had the most delicious cake known to man. Later on Saturday evening we caught a train to Salzburg, Austria. Also, an amazing city offering a lot of green, history, and beautiful views of mountains (real mountains, not Michigan “mountains”). It reminded me a lot of Seattle, minus the significant historical and architectural differences. We explored a massive fortress located at the top of the city. Four of the people in my group took a cable car to the top, but Ryan and I decided to save ourselves 3€ and climb our way to the top. Worth it. The design and the view from the top was amazing!! The castle was built in 1460! It’s hard to even fathom that as an American. Everywhere we have been has a slight resemblance to Harry Potter world in Universal Studios in Florida, but I have to remind myself that these buildings are the real deal! It’s an incredible experience. Everyone needs to study abroad, or travel abroad for an extended amount of time.