«

May 19

Germany – Midterms

Lisa Mitchell

Editor’s Note: This is a guest blog post by B-Section senior Lisa Mitchell, who is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and works as a co-op at UTC Aero Systems LK in Connecticut, and will occasionally post her thoughts about her Kettering student experiences on Life at Kettering. If you’d like to write a guest blog post, e-mail jmurphy(at)kettering(dot)edu. Lisa’s other posts: Post 1 | Post 2 | Post 3 | Post 4 | Post 5 | Post 6 | Post 7

It’s hard to believe that I’m half way through my study abroad term in Europe. It has gone by so fast! This entire trip has already been filled with some amazing life experiences and yet, the best is still to come! This weekend we decided not to travel so we could prepare for our midterms on Monday and Tuesday.

On Friday morning, we hiked to the top of a castle in southern Germany called Hohenneufen. It was a steeper hike than any of us were anticipating, but it was a beautiful view from the top! On Friday night, I met up with three German students that I met at Kettering at Wasen (frühlingsfest) and we rode a bunch of carnival rides which, by the way, are much faster than American rides. I’m positive they ran at speeds faster than any American carnival would ever even consider. It was fabulous! It is always a joy to meet up with friends across an ocean! International friendships typically last a lifetime. You may not talk with them everyday but the people met while traveling are typically people you end up staying in contact with throughout a lifetime.

The following day, I got a ride in a private airplane over Germany! My friend’s dad has his own plane and so they treated me to a beautiful flight around southern Germany! The views were stunning, and the experience itself was awesome. I am so thankful I got to participate in such a cool adventure! I find that the more people you meet and the more you keep an open mind to new experiences, the more unique opportunities you will have! For anyone that is considering coming to Germany for a study abroad term, do it. Yes, it’s expensive. But it is worth it. The relationships and life experiences you gain far exceed the burden of having a more expensive school term.

So on Sunday we studied (or attempted to study) all day for our midterms on Monday and Tuesday. We had a midterm in DS1, DS2, and German history. Overall, we were able to study well enough to do a good job on the exams. I certainly recommend not traveling the weekends before midterms or finals. There is plenty to see and experience in Germany, and it gives you the time you need to do well in your courses.