Establishing a Strategic Vision
Kettering University will be the first choice for students and all partners seeking to make a positive impact on the world through innovation.
The above vision statement has been adopted after a university-wide visioning process. The video below is the address given by President Robert K. McMahan at the kick-off of the visioning process in October 2011.
The approach of our Centennial in 2019 and the beginning of a new presidency represents a golden opportunity for us to develop a shared vision for the second century of this great institution. Developing this vision began with an articulation of the hopes and dreams of the people who make up the university community combined with an understanding of the rapidly changing nature of higher education, e.g.:
- Advances in technology and the rapidly changing demands and expectations of our students will evermore strongly impact who we serve as well as what, where, when, and how we serve them.
- Competition for external funding will continue to increase, and this will require us to demonstrate our value and our contribution to the agendas of our stakeholders.
- Concern over college affordability will continue to increase public pressure to keep tuition low and increase sources and the amounts of merit and need-based financial aid available.
- Competition for qualified and prepared students will continue to increase, which will require that we make greater investments in marketing, student recruitment including recruiting more women and students of color, retention, and innovative and on-demand delivery forms of instruction.
- Regional leaders are looking to the university to focus a portion of our efforts on impacting and rebuilding the economy of the region and the state.
- Increasing globalization will require that we become more international and multidisciplinary and that we recruit students from and prepare our students for the world and for global careers.